Up and at 'em

I never made it to the bed, just the couch. I did not want to wake up Dave and I wasn't sure if I would be able to get back to sleep but I did. I think I was dreaming in blog-ish. Ever since I started blogging, this has been happening frequently, mostly in that in-between state of sleep and awake. Now, only if I can remember what it was that I was "blogging" about. I think maybe this was it:

This week: This past Thursday I attended an adoption support group at our church. I don't know what I was expecting but it was not what I got. The group was mostly made up of people who already have adopted children who were adopted at an older age. becuase of this the overriding theme of the evening was RAD or reactive attachment disorder cause by lack of bonding early in a child's life. RAD is fairly common among children adopted as toddlers and older. It was really a little scary. I had met one to the group members before and when she found out that were are adopting her first reaction alarming. She warned me to educated about RAD immediately, not congratulations and then warning, not, oh I am an adoptive mother too, and then the warning. Just the warning. My mom was there when this happened and just recommended I not get discouraged by what she was saying. So, I am not discouraged and I am getting educated but I also understand that RAD is not nearly as common in children adopted as infants or before the age of 12 months. I also know there is so much that can be done to bond with my adopted babies. If you want to learn more you can go to the Attachment Parenting website.

At the end of the meeting I spoke with the director of our domestic adoption agency and he assured me that becuase of the group's diversity we would be sub-dividing according to our specific situations. I was relieved because I want to be supportive to this new ministry and to our adoption agency.


Next Week: I am going to to the International Christian Retail Show next week. This is the really big one and it is right in Orlando. I will be hunting for home decor and gift items for our new church bookstore which will be opening in October. And as fun as that will be I am most looking forward to all the free stuff. Distributors, authors and publishers will all be hocking their wares and are more than happy to give you free samples. Last time I went to the ICRS smaller show I took home tons of stuff but I was unprepared for the booty and did not have the proper suitcase so half the product broke loose from the cheap giveaway tote I checked on to the airplane and most everything got wet. This time I will be prepared with a nice rolling carry-on type suitcase.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ponderings that don't deserve a post of their own...

48