Read This Book
So, yesterday after eating lunch with my mom, (a very healthy lunch) I stopped by a thrift store to do some quick book shopping for my on-line store. I found a book entitled Lies Women Believe by Nancy Lee DeMoss. So last night instead of posting it for sale I thought I would read some of it. I have listened many times to the author on Moody radio and thought that the premise of the books sounded interesting but I really thought that I did not believe any lies or even have any mis- perceptions about life. But....
On the back cover it listed some lies and one caught my eye. It is lie #12: "I should not have to live with unfulfilled longings." This hit me square in the eyes so I turned right to page 82. DeMoss hypothesizes that we are encouraged by media, society, etc that we need to identify our longings and do whatever it takes to get those needs met. This leads us to fulfill those longings in illegitimate ways. She goes on to say that there are two truths to counteract this lie. The first is that we must "recognize that we will always have unfulfilled longings this side of heaven." The second truth is that the "deepest longing of our hearts cannot be fulfilled by any created person or thing." So I began to think about my longing for a baby. I know this is a legitimate desire but I cannot, I must not make having a child the end all and be all of life. I cannot put that kind of pressure on myself, my husband, my marriage or any children I might have in the future. Especially on the children. Children should not be a check on the list of things to do, goals to obtain or desires to be fulfilled. Children are a blessing, a gift from God, something he may or may not choose to give me. And somehow I have to be OK with that.
On the back cover it listed some lies and one caught my eye. It is lie #12: "I should not have to live with unfulfilled longings." This hit me square in the eyes so I turned right to page 82. DeMoss hypothesizes that we are encouraged by media, society, etc that we need to identify our longings and do whatever it takes to get those needs met. This leads us to fulfill those longings in illegitimate ways. She goes on to say that there are two truths to counteract this lie. The first is that we must "recognize that we will always have unfulfilled longings this side of heaven." The second truth is that the "deepest longing of our hearts cannot be fulfilled by any created person or thing." So I began to think about my longing for a baby. I know this is a legitimate desire but I cannot, I must not make having a child the end all and be all of life. I cannot put that kind of pressure on myself, my husband, my marriage or any children I might have in the future. Especially on the children. Children should not be a check on the list of things to do, goals to obtain or desires to be fulfilled. Children are a blessing, a gift from God, something he may or may not choose to give me. And somehow I have to be OK with that.
Comments