Honoring Our Heroes

Tonight in church service Pastor Tom brought up on stage a service man named Miguel. He is currently on a short leave from serving in Iraq. He is home to be with his wife as she has surgery. While in Iraq Miguel watches the Christ Fellowship worship services live on-line. After Miguel took his seat Pastor said he felt the Lord impressed upon him to have the men of the congregation shake this serviceman's hand and at the same time pass on a little gift (money, implied) and instructed Miguel not to rush off after service. First of all Pastor Tom rarely ever does something like this. He rarely ever spontaneously says the Lord impressed him to do anything while in a worship service.

I happened to be sitting behind this man and his family. After the service was over I purposely stayed seated to watch what would happen. Miguel could not have left if he wanted to. Within seconds of the service ending men were gathered around him, lines on all sides were forming to thank this man and pass on a "little gift." It brought tears to my eyes and I'm sure his as well. With one hand he was greeting the gift givers, in the other hand he clutched a box of tissues. Just when I thought I would move on and dry my tears, Phil, a friend and Vietnam veteran reminded me of the very poor treatment those who served in Vietnam received upon returning home. Phil, along with my own Dad, were heroes although they were treated as villains. It is a good thing I had a tissue in my hand the tears started to flow again. So, I just want to say thank you to my Dad and to Phil and those like them that served faithfully in Vietnam and supported the cause of freedom as our soldiers do now in similarly unpopular war. Thankfully we have learned our lesson and are beginning to honor our heroes as they should be honored.

Comments

Rachelle said…
Hi Danielle! Thanks for contacting me. Yep, we are in this China adoption time warp as well.....What a roller coaster ride the Lord is taking us on...but I would not trade it for the world....feel free to contact me by e-mail if you wish

rachschw@ptd.net

We love connecting with others who are on this adoption journey as well!

Be Blessed.. =) Rachelle
Anonymous said…
I love your post...it was quite a moving moment last night. I am very sensitive to our vets and active service men. I'm so thankful for their loyalty to our great nation.

Popular posts from this blog

Ponderings that don't deserve a post of their own...

48