Money Merge Accounts

Another trend I have been thinking about this week is in the world of personal finance. Dave and I are budget coaches with Crown Financial and this week we got a call from a couple we coached a while back. The told us about a new program that helps people pay down their mortgage faster. Although I had heard of it before I never had a reason to look into it. Since I was being asked my opinion I thought I first to formulate one so I did a little research. It is called MMA (Money Merge Account) and is a software program that, after you enter your financial information, gives you prompts as to when to pay your bills. It requires that you open line of credit, preferably a HELOC and everything gets paid out of that account. Surprisingly, I could not find one negative thing about it on the internet. Here is what I found:
  • Money Merge Accounts do work to help pay off your mortgage faster.
  • It is not a scam
  • No where did I see anything that said a Money Merge Account can help you avoid foreclosure or pay down debt other than a mortgage.
  • You do indeed use a HELOC or Home Equity Line of Credit which is different from refinancing your mortgage
  • You need to have a fixed rate first mortgage in order to use the system
  • It seems you need to actually have equity in your home
  • You need to get the HELOC yourself from your bank.
  • The product is sold via multi-level marketing like, Tupperware, Pampered Chef, Mary Kay, etc.
  • The representative profits about $1000 per sale, yes, that is one thousand dollars
  • You are paying for the use of the software, you don't actually own the software.
  • The benefit of the software is the prompts it gives you to pay certain things at certain times of the month
  • The representative will be vague about how the software works, which I assume is because of the proprietary nature of the software not because they want to hide something
  • For Money Merge to work properly you need to cut your monthly expenses by 20-25%
  • The program does not do the work for you. You need to be disciplined to pay everything and pay on time
  • Since your paycheck is deposited directly into the HELOC you must be 100% disciplined to record in the software every penny you spend.
  • This is a system which you can do on your own without the $3500 expense if you are technically and financially savvy.
So for what it is worth I think this program could work- only if you are an extremely discipline person. As far as the cost goes, it is cheaper than going to a bank and refinancing to a 15 year fixed mortgage and you will get it paid off in less time.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I totally agree with your point that a money merge account will only work for an extremely disciplined person.

For an undisciplined person, I think it could be disasterous... having an extra credit line could be huge trouble in the wrong hands...

Great post!
Anonymous said…
Danielle, I'm not sure where you were looking, but I could hardly find any positive comments (except on United First Financial's website who sells MMA's).
Crown Financial Ministries: http://www.crown.org/LIBRARY/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleId=749
Dave Ramsey: http://www.daveramsey.com/etc/realestatecenter/index.cfm?FuseAction=dspContent&intContentID=10203
Kiplinger's Magazine: http://www.kiplinger.com/magazine/archives/2008/05/prepay_mortgage.html

All of these respected financial sources say to save the $3500 fee and send in prepayments yourself--no need for the software.

Popular posts from this blog

Ponderings that don't deserve a post of their own...

48