Saturday, July 16th

 I really wish I could have been posting to my blog right along but that was just impossible. Tonight since I have just a very small amount of energy left I am going to try to post for previous days. So let's see if I can even remember what we did yesterday.

I will begin with the evening. All the adoptive families, and there are lots of them met at a local Thai restaurant for a meal.  The place was packed with babies, high chairs, strollers, diaper bags, tired parents, and cranky babies - one of our included. I can't imagine what the other customers thought, expect pure regret for having chosen that restaurant.   The food was delish, at least the few bits of red curry with coconut milk I was able to gulp down between feeding the girls rice congee and steamed veggies.  The clouds decided to open up while we were in the restaurant so we had to wait for our guide to run back to the hotel to get umbrellas. Picture Dave and I trying to push a double stroller over cobble stone streets while each holding an umbrella with one hand. Quite a site.

Prior to dinner.... hmmm... oh yeah, the girls took a nap.  But I completely forgot what Dave and I were doing - something that prevented us from taking a nap as well.

Prior to lunch...  Oh, lunch. We got the fixed plate take out from a little "deli" near the hotel.  Dave ordered two - one chicken and one beef. The fixed plate come with soup.  Have you ever heard of squab?  Well, that is just a nice way of saying pigeon. Yes, it was pigeon soup, a whole pigeon to be exact.  Neither of us was feeling adventurous

Now, prior to lunch... the physical exam. It was a mad house. Again lots of adoptive parents, maybe 40 - 50 with their babies all lined up up on metal benches at the local clinic waiting to have their heads examined, uh I mean, their babies examined. We had to go through three stations one was basic vital statistics. One was a skin check to make sure the babies did not have any strange infectious skin disease I suppose. The last one was ear, nose and throat. To test the baby's hearing the doctor played a few notes on a miniature keyboard and the squeezed a ball in the other ear. I guess if the baby turned their head the hearing was fine. I am proud to say both girls did great. The were tolerate of the poking and prodding but not so tolerant of the long wait and HOT condition. There was no air conditioning the the waiting room Apparently even the doctor was hot.  He was wearing shorts and sandals under his white doctor's coat. It was quite the site.

The girls passed the exam with no problem. We did learn that what we thought was a heat rash on the back of their necks is actually a Mongolian spot.  The spot become more pronounced when the girls are hot.  Mongolian spots fade over time, typically by the age of  seven or so.

Now, so this is going pretty well. Let me see if I can remember Friday. Oh, Friday, how could I forget.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ponderings that don't deserve a post of their own...

48