That's What They Say
I originally wrote this in 2013 - the year I gave birth at the age of 43.
Pregnancy was never on my bucket list. Becoming a mother was. I guess I should have never adopted because once you adopt then inevitably you get pregnant. At least, that's what they say. Who the heck is "they" anyway? A statement from The National Infertility association: "Studies reveal that the rate for achieving pregnancy after adopting is the same as for those who do not adopt." I read elsewhere that statistic is just over 7%. Here is another interesting statistic that makes me a parenting freak. At the age of 42 there is only a 5% chance every month of a woman conceiving naturally coupled with only a 40% to 50% chance of conceiving within a year of trying. Compare that to a 75% chance of conceiving when a woman is in her 30's. We "tried" to get pregnant for 13 years. And the final factoid that cements my status as parenting anomaly... The twin birth rate in China is the lowest in the world. In other words, China the most populous country in the world, produces far fewer twins that any other country at about 1 in 400 births. Compare that to the US rate in 2009 at 1 in every 30 births. I am an anomaly in the most positive and miraculous way I can imagine.
Pregnancy was never on my bucket list. Becoming a mother was. I guess I should have never adopted because once you adopt then inevitably you get pregnant. At least, that's what they say. Who the heck is "they" anyway? A statement from The National Infertility association: "Studies reveal that the rate for achieving pregnancy after adopting is the same as for those who do not adopt." I read elsewhere that statistic is just over 7%. Here is another interesting statistic that makes me a parenting freak. At the age of 42 there is only a 5% chance every month of a woman conceiving naturally coupled with only a 40% to 50% chance of conceiving within a year of trying. Compare that to a 75% chance of conceiving when a woman is in her 30's. We "tried" to get pregnant for 13 years. And the final factoid that cements my status as parenting anomaly... The twin birth rate in China is the lowest in the world. In other words, China the most populous country in the world, produces far fewer twins that any other country at about 1 in 400 births. Compare that to the US rate in 2009 at 1 in every 30 births. I am an anomaly in the most positive and miraculous way I can imagine.
Comments